top of page
  • Writer's picturenick1269

The HP5 experiment: Round 1's results


I've shot my first 3 rolls of HP5.


Everything was at box speed, and I typically relied on the camera's meter, but there are a few where I used an incident meter (mainly the still lives).


I'm probably making this harder than I need to by using a number of different cameras (Nikon F3, Canon A-1, and a Konica Hexar RF) but I like playing with cameras and I only promised to be faithful to the film stock.


There has been a range of subject mater: still lives, portraits, street photography and a handful of random images of 'just things':




What have learnt so far? I'll be honest, I'm not sure, but I can say:


  • I like HP5's tones

  • The blacks are great

  • It's fairly forgiving to my crappy metering (something I really need to improve).


A big shout out to Crown & Flint who's excellent app I'm using to track what I'm doing. It lets me record exposure details, the equipment used, any variations (+/- stops, etc) and location. It's useful. And it's much easier to use than a paper notebook & pen.


The last two labs I used - and loved working with - closed over the past year, so I was a little nervous handing my films over to a lab that I'd never used before ... consistency in developing & scanning is always important, but it's vital for a project like this.


Irohas Photo, who only opened a few months ago, have done an excellent job on these first 3, and I'm looking forward to working with them in the future.


For the next couple of rolls I'm going to overexpose a bit - shooting at 320, developing at 400 - because apparently that's what I "should be doing" (according to some internet expert).


Stay tuned for more updates.





8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page